PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Birthday on Hilton Head Island

As you obviously know by now (since I just HAD to share the amazing sunrise I witnessed), my fabulous hubby and I celebrated our birthdays (his birthday weekend) on Hilton Head Island!!!  We had a marvelous time!!!!

We went walking on the beach (which makes me all giddy to start with), and then . . . we found this!!!  A super fabulous sand dollar!!!  This was the first of several we found, and I unsuccessfully attempted to throw them back into the ocean, but they just washed back onshore, much to my dismay.  However, my dear husband was THRILLED because it inspired me to walk up and down the beach singing gleefully:  I've got a dollar!  I've got a dollar!  I've got a dollar - hey hey hey hey!!!! 



I was a little less excited about running (almost literally) into these little creatures . . . I stopped counting after seven, and almost stepped on one . . .


After the beautiful sunrise and walk on the beach, we had brunch at my new most favorite restaurant on the island -- their dinner is amazing, but their brunch was to die for!!!!  If you're in the area, you  must check out The Black Marlin!! 

I had the Bananas Foster French Toast with Fruit and Bacon!!!!  Oh my goodness!!!  I LOVED it!!!  The only other place I've ever had that was at the Papermoon in Baltimore with our friends Shawn & Monica -- it is simply amazing!!!


We went to Harbor Town on Sea Pines Plantation . . . I LOVE it there!!!  It was the first lighthouse I ever remember seeing when I was little, and I love lighthouses!!! 




I was facinated by the storks (ok, let's be honest, I have no clue what they are, but they look like storks to me, so storks they are - haha) . . . they would not acknowledge me or pose for me, so we decided they were on strike!!!  And he is their leader . . .






We had lunch at Salty Dog Cafe!!!  I can't say I eat much sea food, so I really couldn't comment on the food, but the virgin strawberry pina colada was fabulous!!!!




Then we met the cutest set of birds!!!  I won't pretend to know what they actually are . . . parrots . . . macaws . . . I get them all confused, but they were too funny!!!!  They were the only creatures on the island that liked having me take their pictures, although I imagine the two blue ones were talking about me being some wacky lady with a camera . . .




We spent some more time on the beach . . . It was beautiful!!!  And I love people watching . . . I couldn't help myself . . . I just thought these two were sooo sweet!!!!


I just have to point out a couple of things . . .

First -- did this seagull really just cock his head at me!?!?  Seriously all the other photos I have of him flying over me he was looking straight ahead, and then he just looked down at me and cocked his head like he thought I was weird!!!!  How rude!!! 


Second, I just have to prove I'm not totally crazy . . . I was lying on the beach and looked over and saw double!!!  Kind of freaked me out . . . there were all these people farther down the beach, and they looked like they were standing on a mirror . . . except they were just standing on the sand.  Then, I discovered that this even showed up in my photos, sooo I can prove that I saw this, but now my question is . . . why / how??  I realize glass is made of sand, but is sand reflective!?!?




And last but not least . . . the amazing Super Moon!!!!  It was gorgeous!!!  I missed the moon-rise due to some dinner complications, but the moon was amazing all the same!!!  Sooo thankful I got to experience such an amazing sunrise followed by such a magnificent moon!!!!



Photobucket

4 comments:

dgott said...

I'm fairly sure those "storks" are actually some type of pelican. Reminds me of "Finding Nemo"...those darn birds saying "Mine...mine...mine...mine"...once that's in my head, it's hard to get it out! Love the photos...so glad you two had a great time! Love you!

Betsy said...

I think those are cranes??? Also the sand thing I am not sure about but now it is on my list of things to research. Was the sand wet? Do you think that had something to do with it?

Leverton Photography said...

Gotta love Google ;-) So, I broke down and looked them all up. Deb is correct, they are indeed pelicans!!! I didn't think they were pelicans because I expected the throat pouch to be all . . . well pouched, but they were not eating. They also fly differently than storks and cranes. Who knew!?!? And the whole time I was there, everytime I saw some seagulls I thought, "Mine! Mine! Mine!!" Hahaha!!! And about the sand . . . it was wet where some of the people were (to the right edge of the pic) but not really where the people to the left edge of the pic was). Please let me know if you solve this mystery!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Heidi said...

awesome photos from an AMAZING photographer!! Great work Sweet Nicole!